Personal Injury Attorney
You’re on your way to your child’s band concert. You’re waiting at a red light. Then it happens. The guy behind you rear ends your vehicle, which is shoved into the intersection. Your car is hit by oncoming traffic. You have intense back pain, and your leg may be broken.
Hopefully, this hasn’t happened to you. After an accident, it’s normal to ask questions like:
- Who will pay for my car repairs?
- When will I be free of pain from my injuries?
- When will I be able to return to work?
- Who will pay for my mounting medical, hospital and chiropractic bills?
You’ve been so busy trying to recover from the accident that you haven’t thought much about it, but perhaps the most important question you should be asking is:
Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
If your serious injuries have been caused by someone else’s negligence, the question is worth considering. Here are seven reasons for hiring a personal injury attorney:
- Experience. To be successful, you’ll need to prove in court that the person at fault was negligent. You’ll need to build a case, collect evidence (including medical records, police accident reports, photographs, etc.), locate and interview witnesses and properly estimate the amount of compensation you’ll need. If you’re not a legal scholar, why would you do this yourself?
- No fees unless you win. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. Their fees come out of any settlement you receive. In other words, if you don’t win, they don’t get paid.
- Avoid errors. Personal injury claims can be tossed out due to small mistakes, missed deadlines, paperwork errors, or statements that you make, which will be used against you.
- Negotiating skills. It’s a fact. Accident victims with attorneys receive higher payouts from defendants than victims without attorneys.
- Objectivity. You may be hurt or angry. Your attorney can provide an objective view of your case and let you know when it’s time to settle.
- Familiarity. An experienced attorney has likely worked with and negotiated with local judges and attorneys, making it easier to reach a settlement that’s best for you.
- Protects Your Rights. Your attorney will know what your case is worth and will fight to ensure you get what you deserve.
There are many options to consider when hiring a personal injury lawyer, as an attorney, like a personal injury lawyer from Spearfish, SD, at a firm such as the Law Offices of Clayborne, Loos and Sabers LLP, can explain.